In Memory of



Obituary for John Yurchuk

YURCHUK: John Yurchuk of Nesbitt, Man., passed away suddenly at the age of 56, with his family at his bedside, in the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg last Saturday, December 2, 2000. John was very fortunate not to have to struggle with a long drawn-out battle with cancer. In fact, he probably wasn't even aware of the fact, for his family only learned the night before he died of the severity of his illness. John leaves behind to cherish his memory his loving wife Darlene of 33 years, living in Nesbitt, Man.; his son Dale and his wife Erin of Brandon, Man., and their son Tyler; as well as a daughter Johanne and her special friend Darcy, of Winnipeg, Man. He also leaves behind his sister Anne (Alfred) Satz of Benito, Man.; a brother Mike (Val) of Comox, B.C.; two brothers-in-law, Derwyn (Anita) Peloski of Edmonton, Alta., Dwayne Peloski and his family of Winnipeg; many nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and nephews and many other relatives and friends whose lives he touched. John was predeceased by his parents Andrew (1992) and Eurphrusina (1993) Yurchuk; his parents-in-law William (1998) and Caroline (1994) Peloski and his grandson Jackson (2000) Yurchuk. John Yurchuk was born on October 22, 1944, on the farm near Arran, Sask., the youngest of three children to Andrew and Eurphrusina Yurchuk. He was raised in the Thunderhill District where he attended Thunderhill school, until he reached Grade 9. In his early years John spent some time working in a nickel mine at INCO in Thompson. He also tried his hand as a cat-operator and as a lumberjack, but soon decided there were better ways of making a living. Between jobs he always returned to what interested him most, which was farming. In 1965 he met Darlene Lydia Peloski and decided to make her his bride on August 12, 1967. Dale John was born of this union on October 26, 1968, and on July 11, 1971, their family was completed when Johanne Jocalynn arrived on the scene. Johns career as a grain buyer for Manitoba Pool Elevators took him from Cromer, where he began in August 1967, just after he and Darlene were married. He worked there for the next two years, then moved onto Kelloe until 1971. From there they went to Oakburn, where they spent the next 12 years, and finally on to Nesbitt for the last 17 years. In 1998, Alberta Pool Elevators combined with Manitoba Pool Elevators to become Agricore. John finished his career with them, retiring earlier this year in June. During his lifetime, John was an active member of the Oakburn and Wawanesa Game and Fish Associations. He was a member of the board for the Oakburn Credit Union. He also served as Fire Chief for the Oakburn Voluntary Fire Department, as well as a charter member for the Oakburn Lions Club. His favourite pastimes were hunting, fishing, boating, cooking, Bar-b-queing and travelling with his motorhome. A ceremony to celebrate Johns life was held at Memories Chapel, 330 - 18th Street North in Brandon on December 7, with Mona Franklin officiating. Interment took place in the Rounthwaite Cemetery near Nesbitt, Man., followed by a time of fellowship and refreshments to support the family, in the Nesbitt Hall. Active pallbearers were Todd Sowiak, Andrew Granger, Rob Gudnason, Allan Chalanchuk, Larry Dutchak and Anthony Chwaluk. Honorary pallbearers were all in attendance. A special thanks to Father Ernie Hafichuk for performing the Last Rites in the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg. The family would also like to thank the Wawanesa & District Memorial Health Centre for the care they provided to John, and to all his friends and relatives for their support, compassion and acts of kindness during his illness. Flowers are gratefully declined. Donations may be made in Johns memory to the Wawanesa & District Memorial Health Centre, 506 George St., Wawanesa, Man., R0K 2G0.